EL PASO MONEY SMART WEEK STORY/VIDEO CONTEST AWARDS TO BE PRESENTED ON APRIL 26
Winners of the Money Smart Week El Paso Story/Video Contest Awards will be announced during an event on Wednesday, April 26.
Each April, the El Paso Branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas partners with local nonprofits and financial institutions to present Money Smart Week. The campaign is designed to help consumers better manage their personal finances by providing free financial literacy education seminars and programs. This year’s campaign is April 22-29, 2017.
Money Smart Week also brings together middle schools and high schools in El Paso and Hudspeth counties to compete in a story and video contest. Students must write a creative essay on the importance of personal finance. This year’s theme is “If Only Money Grew on Trees.”
Ten contest finalists have been selected as winners and will be announced at the Money Smart Week Story/Video Contest Awards Night on Wednesday, April 26 at the El Paso Public Library, 501 N. Oregon St., El Paso, TX 79901. The schedule of events is:
5–5:30 p.m.: Red carpet arrival, popcorn, photos
5:45–6:45 p.m.: Opening keynote, awards
For more information or to RSVP, contact Marisol Martinez at email@example.com or (915) 521-5244.
Check out the sessions available to the public. Topics will help you manage your personal finances better. Programs are offered to all demographics and income levels, and cover all facets of personal finance. Sessions are available in English and Spanish. To view or download the calendar, please click here.
“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.” -Benjamin Franklin
If you don’t have access to a retirement savings plan at work or haven’t found an easy way to save, myRA may be a good option for you. myRA is a retirement savings account that was developed by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to help people start saving for the future in a simple, safe, and affordable way.
Why choose myRA?
- Set up automatic contributions
- No complicated investment options
- If you change jobs, or work multiple jobs, the account stays with you
- Withdraw the money you put in without tax and penalty – Withdraw interest without tax and penalty under certain conditions
- No risk of losing money
- The investment is backed by the U.S. Treasury
- Your account safely earns interest
- No cost to open and no fees
- No minimum account balance and contributions
You choose how much to save ($2, $20, $200 – whatever fits your budget). Enjoy the tax advantages this type of investment brings.
Is myRA for me?
It could be a good fit if:
- You don’t have access to a retirement savings plan at work
- You want to save but haven’t found an easy way to get started
- You earn an annual income below $132,000 if single, or below $194,000 if married filing jointly
How do I get started?
- Open your account at myRA.gov/tax
- Fund your account from your paycheck, checking or savings account, or federal tax refund
- Access your account online and watch your savings grow
Here’s what you need to sign up:
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license, state ID, U.S. passport, or military ID
- Name and birth date of your beneficiary (the person you choose to inherit your account)
For additional information, please visit: myRA.gov